- Acidity is a term used for a set of symptoms caused by excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. The stomach normally secretes hydrochloric acid which is required for the breakdown and digestion of food we eat. Acidity causes symptoms like dyspepsia, heartburn, gastric inflammation, and ulcers in the stomach.
- Acidity is generally a consequence of several external factors like eating habits, Heavy food, stress, smoking and alcohol consumption, lack of physical activity, irregularity in eating patterns. The incidence of acidity is higher in countries where individuals eat more non-vegetarian, oily, and spicy foods. Certain medications like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) also predispose individuals to gastric acidity.
- People suffering from acidity feel a burning sensation after eating a meal. Sour belching is also commonly seen. Sometimes, constipation and indigestion are also seen in people having acidity. Acidity can be treated with antacids and mainly by making changes in eating and lifestyle habits.
- Our stomach produces gastric acids to aid digestion. But, their corrosive effects are neutralized by the production of natural bicarbonate and prostaglandins secreted in the mucous lining. When the production of these chemicals is interrupted then it leads to damaged stomach lining which causes acidity. These are a few common reasons which can cause or aggravate this condition
- Spicy and heavy foods
- Stomach ailments like peptic ulcers or reflux disease, stomach tumors, etc.
- Medications like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
The common signs and symptoms that you might experience are –
- Burning in the stomach
- Burning in the throat
Acute acidity can be treated with any antacid medicines or home remedies. But chronic acidity can only be cured by curing the underlying disease if any.
Homeopathy can cure acidity permanently if taken in a proper homeopathic way. This is called constitutional homeopathic treatment. Even patent homeopathic medicines available by many names can not cure Acidity. There are no patents in homeopathy. Every medicine is specific to the patient so it cannot be generalized to all cases.
Acidity can be prevented by the following methods:
- Don’t consume spicy food
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Eat small, regular meals
- Consume your last meal at least a few hours before sleeping
- Chew tulsi leaves, cloves, saunf, etc.
- Avoid medications like NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and steroids
- Reduce stress
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINES FOR THE TREATMENT OF ACIDITY
- There are lots of homeopathic medicines that can cure acidity. But each medicine works only if it is specific to the patient. So, it should never be taken before consulting your Homeopath.
- Nux Vomica, Phosphorus, Pulsatilla, Sulpher, Calc Carb, China, Carbo Veg, Robinia are the most frequently used homeopathic medicines to treat acidity.
- Holac Clinic is driving a vigorous campaign for the awareness and treatment of Gastric and psychological diseases (Gut Mind Nexus).
- And Acidity is one of them